
How many of you with small children actually got to listen to conference in it's entirety without chaos?Twice a year the LDS Church holds a meeting where the Prophet and other leaders speak and teach the members of the church about Christ, and how to live our lives to become closer to Him. It is broadcast on television here in Utah, and to meeting houses around the world, as well as on the Internet so as to be accessible to every member of the church. I tried but I can't expect my kids to stay silent and listen for 4 hours each day. Yet, it is important to me to try to encourage them to watch it. On Saturday Maddie woke and said "it's time for the prophet show!" She usually calls it conference so it was a bit odd. Sounds like a game show or something. I brought down their little table and put out puzzles and activities on saturday and they actually picked up a few things. I didn't think they were but they would repeat something that was said and ask me about it. Maddie asked what a "local" church meant, as if it was some fancy new kind of church. We have flash cards that had to be adjsuted a bit since we have a new prophet and a few new apostles. When a new speaker comes up they find the picture. First she asks if we have a picture or is it a "seventy". AJ looks for the "fossil" picture as well. It is surprising because the pictures were from 20 years ago I swear, and they have all gotten pretty old. I love to hear her say all of their names, although she doesn't use their titles like president or Elder all of the time. She always refers to President Uchdorf as "Uchdorf" and Elder Eyring instead of President, which is fine for being young.

On SUnday I brought out the conference bingo with candy corns and that lasted about 15 minutes before the "game pieces" were gone. The last session was peaceful while AJ napped the whole time and Cheyenne for 30 minutes or so. Maddie got the privilege of grown up conference treats--this is when I pig out on halloween candy so I can focus. She enjoyed her introduction to the grown up world:)She sat and colored her conference coloring book and listened quietly. I had big plans on Saturday to peel thousands of apples while I listened but Cheyenne wouldn't nap and isn't a big fan of me not paying attention to her. She climbed the apple bucket several times, emptied it and bit mini holes in quite a few. She is starting to cruise, climb stairs, and stand in her crib each morning and I fear walking is coming close. She is a busy one.

The last part of conference I decided to put the girls hair in curlers. Maddie usually hates even a clip in her hair but she was focused on her treats and conference and didn't even move. After 15 pictures or so, I got a cute shot of the girls after conference. I am grateful that the conference talks will come out next month in the Ensign (you can also read them online at LDS.org.) I seem to understand things better when I read to myself in the quiet.I am so grateful that we have a prophet today that can give us direction in a world that can be difficult at times. I have a testimony that God loves us as much as he did His people in biblical times. He knows that we are facing even more trials in this day and we still have a need for a prophet. I feel the spirit and His love when the Prophet Thomas S. Monson speaks to each one of us.

1 comment:
Wow! I am impressed with all the fun you did with your kids for conference. i need to do better at this. Also, great job on the cake! I'm impressed!
Post a Comment