
Madison wanted to do makeovers tonight.It is goopy, sticky, glittery stuff and it smells funny, but I decided to just enjoy the "pampering" of getting a makeover. Some may disagree, but I have no problem with my little boy getting a makeover if he wants to be a part of the fun. We had no intention of leaving the house. The rule with makeup before she turns 12---it can be piled on an inch thick at home but it washes off when we leave the house. I have a problem with makeup. I wear it, yes. But I feel guilty because of it.I had the mindset as a teenager that I wouldn't be beautiful unless I had makeup on. I wore it, I obsessed about not being seen without it. I stopped to buy makeup if I saw something wrong with my face in my rearview mirror. When I married I wore it at night for almost 2 years when I went to bed so my husband would think I was always beautiful. I knew I reached an important stage in our relationship when I went "natural" and he still loved me.(or he is cringing inside:) I don't know much about makeup because I don't want to feel like I have to have it, to feel like a beautiful person. Yes, it bothers me that my daughter wants a makeup suitcase for Christmas, for the same reason I don't want her to love Barbies(she doesn't...whew)I don't want her to base her self worth on appearances. I went there and back and it is A LOT of work and self destruction. So for all of you makeup lovers who read this blog--you know who you are:) I would love a positive, healthy perspective on makeup from you!

3 comments:
For me, make-up isn't a way of making me obsessed with my looks, but a way for me to feel dolled up and good about myself. I like it when something makes ME feel pretty. It isn't that I HAVE to have make-up to feel this way, it just helps sometimes when you have a zit to cover up. ;)
I agree with Stacey, I like to feel put together, and makeup does that for me. I don't feel like I need makeup to feel pretty, or be of worth, I just like to look like my best self, and using makeup to enhance my natural assets makes me feel like that. Heavenly Father gave us these faces, and taking care of them and "tastefully decorating" them:) is a way of showing our appreciation. I am way into skin care too, and foundation is actually a really important part of skin care (long story short, it helps keep out environmental hazards, and protects from sun damage)Anyway, I guess with my kids I try to teach them that being beautiful on the outside depends a lot on the beauty that you have on the inside. Pretty faces or bodies don't matter as much as pretty actions and words. We play with barbies, and makeup, but we also rake leaves for the old lady next door. We talk about how that is a much more important "game" to play because it makes us feel good on the inside as well as look good on the outside (with our smile) It seems to be working becuase they really do love helping others and being kind. Anyway, I don't know if that makes any sence at all
I just recently started wearing make up but I usually do not wear it at all I guess it's a lazy thing for me but I feel beautiful when I wear it.
Post a Comment