"The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself". --Anna Quindlen



Sterzer Family 2013

Sterzer Family 2013

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Man-Haters Anonymous




My name is Tiffanie and I am a recovering man-hater... 8 years ago I held my first (and only:) official man-haters anonymous party. My roommate, a fellow blogger, may recall that great day:)I think she made the cake for the event. Yes, it was silly, but also something I needed to do. I was a whole pile of issues, anger, and no antidepressant was making it disapear magically. Many who knew me , knew I had a "gift" of sarcasm and just plain meanness when a man was involved. This self developed around 15 and was only getting worse by the time I graduated and went to college. I had roommates who complained that their guy friends were afraid to come over because of me. Like I said, I had a gift. The picture I put on is of my halloween decorations I put in our apartment window. Five Barbie dolls killed in 5 different ways- the beauty queen holding her head, scuba barbie lost a leg, aerobic barbie attacked, Bride barbie died of a broken heart---all covered in a ketchup that we later discovered was the cause of "that smell". Under the Barbies read "Don't hate me because I am beautiful". Next to them, hung by a noose was Ken--with a sign that said "all men welcome". Apparently this frightened a few guys--sensitive I say:) I only occasionally got violent---they thought it would be funny to get one guy to try to kiss me...Yes, I was a man-hater, feminist at the extreme. I attacked men, argued every issue, and wrote the article against the SUU pageant that turned many against me. I loved power but wasn't happy. It's hard to be a true feminist when you reallly want to be a stay at home mom with 12 kids:) So on this day, we baked a cake , I wore a crown and as my roomates and any man who wasn't afraid of me as my witness, I vowed to revoke my status as a man-hater and be ...Nice. I moved home after that first year and went on my first date ever--he survived. In fact I married him 6 months later. Imagine how good the first year of marriage can be when you marry a man-hater:) I would like to say that I am completely recovered. I don't "hate" men anymore, but sometimes they really bug me:)

3 comments:

Humanist mom said...

Hey!!! Being a stay at home mom doesn't make you un-femenist!!! Congrats on 8 years "Men Hate" Free!!

Katie said...

Wow, eight years, what a milestone. I'm glad, for Rob's sake that you don't hate men anymore. I'm proud of you. I totally remember that night though! Good times.

Abby Normal said...

I am laughing over Ken in the window. Thanks for the laugh. Abby Nelson