"The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself". --Anna Quindlen



Sterzer Family 2013

Sterzer Family 2013

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Visiting Teaching Triumph!




The day was pretty good today. Church was good, although Cheyenne was cranky and busy most of the time and finally fell asleep the last five minutes before it was time to go. I went visiting teaching right after church to one sister in our ward. For those who may not know about visiting teaching in the LDS church I will explain. All of the women in our church belong to a group we call the relief society. We meet together for lessons on Sunday and also get together during the month for activities. The women(sisters) in our neighborhood meet for book club, crafts, service, childrens play group, love of food group in which we go to different restaurants, etc. We also take care of each other by having a few women we visit each month. I have visited the same 3 women for over a year now. It is kind of my job to make sure they have everything they need, but especially to make sure they know they have a friend if they needed me for anything. I have one sister that I have called continually, dropped by every treat possible with little notes and a spiritual message---yet no response. It occurs to me that maybe she is ignoring me and maybe she is getting annoyed or angry. But I continue to be her friendly "stalker" because there is always the chance that she might need me as a friend. I have made some of the greatest friends from women I could not get a hold of for months and months. And today was the day! I was taking my dog for a walk and noticed her light on and I hurried and went home to grab her treat and message and went back before it got too late. I was nervous that she may have been the angry type that asked me to get off of her porch and throw something at me:) But she was sweet and welcomed me in and said I could come back any time in the evenings to visit. I was giddy when I left and it solidified my testimony of visiting teaching. Not everyone wants to be preached to---but everyone needs a friend.
I included some cute pictures of the kids on our "pear day". My grandparents let us empty their pear tree and the kids were great helpers. Cheyenne took a nap so that was the best help:) The problem with pears is that you pick them when they aren't quite ripe and lay them out to ripen on their own. I want to dry some of them and bottle them, but it is hard when they ripen 3 at a time. It will be a sticky mess I am sure:)

2 comments:

Diane Owen said...

I love that picture of Cheyenne, so cute! That outfit is awesome! And hooray for visiting success, isn't that the best?

Jena said...

Great job! And cute kids!