"The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself". --Anna Quindlen



Sterzer Family 2013

Sterzer Family 2013

Friday, November 21, 2008

A confession...

I have a confession to make. Well, here goes. I have never read any book by Stephanie Myers. I know nothing about vampires or any of these characters. Thats not all...I have never read any Harry Potter book in my life. If you want to get really honest I have never read any of the Lord of the Rings or the Chronicles of Narnia that the rest of the world seems to obsess about. But in my defense I WANT to have the desire to read them. I LOVE to read and read quickly. But... I have a hard time reading things that can't happen, aka, fantasies. I want to read them so I know what the heck everyone is talking about, but I can't seem to force myself to get into magic spells and flying creatures. I have heard that the Twilight series is a little different and I have made a vow to attempt to read one. I do love romance and hot guys---just not so sure about vampires... So, I will understand if all of my fellow bloggers and neighbors who are in love with Twilight don't want to associate with me anymore:) It will be just like middle school where I will get into the "cool" thing a year after everyone else:) Be patient with me!

5 comments:

Stacey said...

I've got the best perspective idea for someone like you.

The Lord taught through fictional stories (ie Parables). So there is nothing wrong with them! In fact, there are many truths that can be expressed in a fictional world that people are willing to accept better than being told straight out.

I would suggest Harry Potter or Twilight series first, because they really are books in the fantasy genre for no fantasy readers. But if you want to read something that is a strong parallel to the gospel, read Narnia.

Lord of the Rings is a HARD book to get through. It is wonderful, but if you aren't a fantasy reader you won't finish. I suggest the movies! Extended editions!

Let me know if you want to borrow any of that...cause I have it all!

Rob & Tiffanie said...

My husband is into all of this---rereading the chronicles of Narnia right now. I told him that I just think it would be so much easier to come out and say what you mean isntead of making everything into symbols. I like books that connect me to real people and experiences. I have read a lot of mysteries and romances in the past though. Lately though, I just can't seem to get any time to read. Maybe if I spent less time on this computer, huh:) My sister has the twilight series and I think I will start there. My dad has read them and that surprised me, because we usually read similar books. I have watched a couple of Harry Potters and part of the Lord of Rings--to much fighting for my taste. Twilight movie does look tempting--after your big night, I am a little excited to be nutty over it:)

Trenda said...

I feel the same way you do about fantasy books. I am not a big fan. I haven't read harry potter either, and I've only seen the first movie, but I did read all the twilight books, and they were different. If you read the first one, I'm sure you'll see what I mean. PS. Thanks for all the advice with getting ambree to sleep.

BallerinaBiker said...

Vampires, shmampires! You'll love it! I was not a vampire fan either until I read Twilight series. I'm addicted now. And wish Edward would bite me! haha j/k!

Never read Lord of the Rings. Don't plan to. I think I've only read the first Narnia book. But, I have read all Harry Potter and they are well worth it. Fun stories!

Katie said...

I'm the same way. I haven't read any of those either. I have started a few, Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings, I didn't finish, I just couldn't get into them. I have seen a couple of the Harry Potter movies, and still wasn't very interested. I just can't get into it if there is no possability that they ever could happen. I really want to like them, and get into them, and be able to talk about them with everyone, but I can't make myself, so I just have to accept that I am that way, and move on. I will add it to my list of things I will never do, like star in a show on Broadway, be a prima ballerina or make it to church on time without a "kid goober" on my dress. Life will go on. It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem. We should start a support group or something.