"The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself". --Anna Quindlen



Sterzer Family 2013

Sterzer Family 2013

Friday, February 13, 2009

A "good"book

I read a book last night that has been on my mind all day. Some people say I read books that are depressing. I wonder sometimes why I am drawn to these books. I still have not finished Twilight... I thought maybe I lost my interest to read. I just hadn't found the right book because I have read several since then. The one last night I read in 2 hours and then I cried--nothing like a feel good book huh?
I came to the conclusion that I read historical fiction not only to learn more about the past, but to connect with these people. Church history and the Holocaust are some that I search out. It is amazing how many different perspectives can come from one event.
Last week I read "The Girl in the Green Sweater" and was amazed by a little girl and her family that survived by hiding from the Nazi's in the sewer for over a year. I wonder while I am reading how I would handle a situation like this. Would I be positive like some or go insane like others?
Last night's book, "I Will Plant You a Lilac Tree" was particularly moving to me. It was a true story of a women who survived in 8 different concentration camps. She was sent to Aushwitz and was ready to accept her fate, when she was miracuously put on the infamous Shindlers list that transported her to a safer camp until freedom came.
I am horrified by the things that she had to witness and experience. Yet, amazed at the strength and faith that she possessed to make it through. She even fell in love and later married a man she met in the camps. I think it hits me the most as a mother when she writes of the children hugging their teddy bears and dolls as they are led away from their mothers, towards the "showers". My heart just breaks for those mothers. I read these books and although I feel saddened for these people, I feel so incredibly grateful that I am here and now. I feel blessed that my children are safe and warm and they know nothing but freedom. It makes me hug my children a little bit longer and think about my blessings a little bit more.

3 comments:

Genesis said...

Good for you on reading a good book nothing beats that you know it's good when it moves you and your crying

Stacey said...

I read all sorts of things. I love love love a good romantic feel good book. But I love the way an historical fiction can move me too. One of my favorite movies is Life is Beautiful, and man is that a depressing movie! Yet so uplifting at the same time!

You should read "The Book Thief".

Kendria said...

I think it's great to learn about things like this. It helps us be compassionate to others to learn about the great human struggles...and when we need a good feel good read - we reach for our Beverly Lewis! :0) I have a high school friend on facebook that I found out lives in York Pennsylvania and I'm stalking her now! JK! :0) I'm still a little Amish obsessed, but you understand. Hope you are doing well Tiffanie -