
I would read them a different Christmas book that focused on the Savior throughout the week. When we talked about Christmas and presents I always tossed in a reminder what we need to remember most. I felt like they were going to tell me to just shut up by the time Christmas arrived:) When they talked about getting lots of presents and having Santa Claus come, I felt frustrated that they were still not "getting it".

After the kids were showered with gifts on Christmas Eve from family, we went straight home to get ready for bed. For scriptures that night Rob read the story of Christ's birth. I had to practically tackle AJ to get him to stop running up and down the hall. Cheyenne was standing in her crib pointing her finger at us and giving us attitude for putting her to bed. Maddie sat on the bed cleaning the lint between her toes.(A nasty habit she has had since she was 2) I am looking around and thinking, is there a point to us even reading tonight while they are so unattentive. When he finished I read some from the picture version of the story and got a little more attention. But alas, they wanted to get wild again. I told Rob under my breath that we need to just put this night out of it's misery:), so we turned out the lights and got ready for their personal prayer.


As I sat down by Maddie, I thought of going downstairs and finishing up the dishes later and then starting on Santa duties. She said she was ready to say her Christmas prayer. Through her simple little prayer, all of the frustrations I was feeling disapeared and I felt the spirit so strong. I don't want to be irreverant but I wanted to share this precious little prayer.
"Heavenly Father, I am thankful for the fun time we had tonight. I am thankful for Jesus. I know that He is my Savior. I love Christmas. I know that Christmas is about Jesus. I know that Santa just helps us remember Him. Sometimes I forget...but my mom helps me remember. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."
It was simple but so sincere and innocent. I kissed and hugged her hard and told her it was a very special Christmas prayer. Then I went straight to my room to write my feelings down in my journal, forgetting everything I needed to get done. It was more than just a prayer to me. Each day I try to teach them and sometimes it seems like I am wasting my breath. Another tantrum, more screaming, more "gimmes". Her simple words were a little gift to me that night, to give me the encouragement I needed as a mom to keep teaching them despite the challenges, because they ARE understanding a little at a time.



The gifts the kids picked out from the dollar store were a big hit. Cheyenne loved her squeaky dolphin form Maddie-for some reason Maddie has inherited it and is squeaking it all day long:)

Cheyenne was a cranky one all morning. In fact she woke up early, wouldn't go back to bed, and woke the rest of the kids. She didn't seem to notice the new toys excpet for using them to get her closer to pulling off ornaments:) She did take her first few steps on Christmas Eve!


3 comments:
I love the cute photo's of the kids and I enjoyed reading how you incorporated the savior with st. Nicolas because that is what it is all about. I'm so stinkin jealous I looked at your sterzer Christmas album photos you are so stinkin skinny I going to loose weight this 2009 year.Good job and kudos to you.
I heard it is your Anniversary tomorrow I just wanted to congratulate you to congrats for making it through a long time. Your a beautiful couple.
what a cute story with the prayer- good job mom :) i think maddie looks so much like you!
Post a Comment