"The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself". --Anna Quindlen



Sterzer Family 2013

Sterzer Family 2013

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Pilgrims and Indians

Just some cute pictures of our Thanksgiving Eve:) We went to the Sterzers for Thanksgiving this year, but I wanted to have a feast for just us the night before. Why did I want to go the work I am not sure....I always loved the idea of having leftover turkey and rolls for later so I needed to make my own. I also have a sinful tradition of keeping a pecan pie in my fridge with a fork ready to go at moments notice:)
"We" made turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, rolls, pecan pie, pumpkin pie and mini cherry pies. The kids helped with the pies, so of course that was the most fun:) I was really proud of my 2nd ever turkey. I used this "out of this world" brine recipe from allrecipes.com and it soaked for 2 days in it--made even the white meat moist and tasty. I was worried about the stuffing as well, trying to do it like my moms despite the recipe being in her head:) It was super tasty as well, so I am glad it worked out. We had a situation with the pumpkin pies though...I realized when I went to put the ingredients away that I didn't have any sugar out. Luckily the pies had only been in for 10 minutes and I poured it out of the crust, added sugar, and put it back in oven...despite that mess, they were really good. I even made my own pie crust this year instead of buying some to fill, and it was really simple.
Daddy got home late and we ate at 7 instead of 5 pm that I prefer. The kids were dressed up in their pilgrim and indian paper costumes. They also decorated a Indian cheif hat for him to wear, although he didn't go bare chested like AJ:)
I had them pose next to our Thankful Turkey--we had a thanksgiving FHE the night before and they watched LS Thanksgiving story and wrote down all the things they were thankful for on the feathers. Aj was thankful for his momma with the baby inside:) They come up with some cute, less traditional things for sure:)
Indian chief and pilgrim eating peacefully together just like the first Thanksgiving:)
Cheyenne stood next to the turkey about 3 times that night and "cheesed" for me:)

3 comments:

Stacey said...

So fun! The turkey is a really cute idea, as is dressing up like that! Glad you had fun!

Kendria said...

I haven't checked up on you for a long time - I am so happy that things are going well with the move and a new baby on the way! You guys are the cutest little family! :0)

Genesis said...

That is so cute your so awesome for keeping up with your blog!