"The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself". --Anna Quindlen



Sterzer Family 2013

Sterzer Family 2013

Friday, April 17, 2009

Tooth Fairy

Maddie has been waiting for this day since her older cousin lost her tooth last year. Maddie has been wiggling her teeth for months now. It was a little loose but it took a huge turn the past couple of days.






I can't explain it, but it completely disturbed me. She would bite down on it and pull it back so I could see under the gums. She laughed and told her daddy that when she did that mom couldn't look because it was so gross:)


It's not like I am grossed out easily. I loved having a loose, dangling tooth and finally pulling it out. I loved to gross out my family with it as well. I have seen my share of nasty stuff.I am a mom and that means battling gross things every day. I worked in care center for the handicapped before that and have had more than my share of bodily fluids splattered on me. I have seen a lot of nasty stuff and I love to watch things like the surgery channel....

But Maddie ate a apple today to try to get the tooth out and I couldn't even be in the room! The thought of the tooth ripping out or making some awful noise, made me sick to my stomach! I think it is because it isn't just some stranger on the tv or someone I work with. It is my child and some maternal instinct in me kicked in and doesn't want pieces of her body falling out!!!
I talked about it to Rob and I feel oddly emotional. I have come to the conclusion that it's not that it grosses me out so much as I worry about what it means. This is one of those milestones of childhood. A few weeks ago I cut Cheyennes hair and saved it in a little baggy, and I felt the same way. They are growing up.


It gets worse:) I went to the neighbors for 10 minutes and left Rob with the kids. I came back and he was smiling with a pair of pliars in his hands. I was completely freaked and asked him what he was going to do. He noticed how loose it was when he was brushing her tooth and offered to pull it. She got excited (?) and agreed. I got there right before the pulling. You can imagine how disturbing it was to me, when I didn't even get a picture of it:) I stayed downstairs and told Maddie it was up to her, but she didn't have to. She said "oh mom, I want him to pull it." It was amazing according to Rob- she just laid there without a move or word while he pulled it. I got the camcorder out as she came bouncing down the stairs with her tooth, beaming!



Now the questions about the tooth fairy have begun... She told me if I wanted to pretend to be the tooth fairy I could borrow some of her dress ups:) She asked me on Easter if I was going to be the bunny like I was the leprecaun. Too smart for me... She still loves each holiday the same even if she has her doubts:)

I even helped her write a letter to the tooth fairy, asking if she can keep her tooth. She is really attached to it and her mom will want to scrapbook it of course:)

Besides that it is adorable now that it is out!

5 comments:

Stacey said...

So fun! When I was student teaching in first grade the teacher had a chart for the kids that were losing teeth as well! It is such a fun milestone for them!

RaCeNMoMmY said...

I was way sad when Race lost his first tooth. A little grossed out too (I dont easily get grossed out either). It's a Huge deal. I also saved all my kids hair from their first hair cuts too. It's okay, one day we will be like my mom when she looks through her kids baby books & reminisces about her babies when they were little.
Maddie looks way cute with her missing tooth, so grown up! ~Christy

Genesis said...

Oh so cute I am so proud of you keeping up with your blog you are way better then I am I still need to update my anniversary pics I will be sure to update it soon though and by the way our stinkin basement flooded it stinks. But it is ok we will recover from this crazy event.

Kendria said...

She is just too funny! I loved reading all about her first tooth-out experience. Her note to the tooth fairy is priceless! :0)

Shelise said...

I handle gross stuff ok, not great but I couldn't help but cringe just reading about it.