"The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself". --Anna Quindlen



Sterzer Family 2013

Sterzer Family 2013

Monday, August 25, 2008

Hair


Our house is almost back to normal. On average it takes 1 hour in the morning to get Maddie to take her medicine and start drinking. Yesterday it was 1 1/2 hours and I got her fluids in via 4 snowcones. Thanks to my moms snow cone maker. By nighttime she was twirling like a ballerina. I took the opportunity to get out the camcorder and record her promise to "not scream, cry or argue when I take my medicine in the morning, because I know it is good for me." I figured it was worth a shot if she heard it from herself the next morning! She has also done better since she can push the medicine in herself.
My Cheyenne is doing her best to keep me busy. I forgot what it is like to have a crawling baby and I don't think I have babyproofed well enough. Before 10 am she emptied the bathtub toys all over the bathroom, chewed on flip flops from the basket by the door,(not a choking hazard, but perhaps not the most sanitary) and unscrewed the doorstop in Maddie's room. (she pulled off the basement one last night).


On Saturday Rob cut AJ's hair because I did not want to deal with the frustration of getting a 2 year old to sit still with a buzzer to his head. I am not sure why I thought Rob would deal with it with patience---not his speciality. He finished it and it looked alright at first. Then I couldn't handle the "bowl" look, so I tried to trim it. I put him in front of a movie with treats to make it up to him. Yet, the next morning it looked too redneck or something so I sat him down again with a snow cone. I think for now it will do. I am not sure if it is such a pain becasue of his hair cow licks or just because I have no training cutting hair whatsoever. I HAVE watched my mom and sister cut hair and I figured it didn't look to hard. I also started doing Robs and picky as he is, he likes it. What it comes down to is that I am too cheap to take my little boy to a professional when I could do it myself and save money. Yes, I am cheap and also like to be self-sufficient. But also a little anxious about the idea. I have made small attempts to go to the hairdresser a few times in the past few months, but never make it. I am 26 years old and have never been to a hair salon. My mom or sister have always trimmed it every six months or more. One day I will mature and get a real haircut at a real salon.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Ahhh! Babyproofing! That thought scares me! My house is not babyproofed at all and I worry about getting it done before Becca starts crawling around. Any tips you have in that department would be great. I have to worry about doostops too? Eeek!

I'm glad that Maddie is doing better with her medicine etc. I hope she feels much better soon!