"The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself". --Anna Quindlen



Sterzer Family 2013

Sterzer Family 2013

Friday, August 22, 2008

2 Choices




If you were given two choices, 1) Be admitted to Primary Children's Hospital and be hydrated through an IV, or 2) Drink 4 oz of apple juice--which would you choose? Well my Madison,aka Madame Stubborn, decided she didn't want to drink today. I went in her room this morning and she woke happy enough, but she wouldn't talk, just smile and nod. I asked her if she was afraid it would hurt to talk and she nodded again. So I gave her her water and got the Loratab, which lost it's effect throughout the night, and figured she would simply take it. Lips tight, she refused to budge. I started out pretty casual, offering her different choices to drink and eat. Then I started talking logic--her lips were dry---she had to drink something. I skipped to bribery after that. Nothing. It was 10 am when the nurse called to see how she was doing. I told her about Maddie's stubbornness, and she said I had to do what ever I could, or she would have to be taken to Primary Children's Hospital by that afternoon. I just felt so frustrated---what else could I do? Rob tried the scaring approach so she would avoid the hospital at all costs. She didn't care.We had to hold her down to squirt Loratab in mouth while screaming, and she choked and coughed and I felt awful. In order to get enought water in her I would have to use the syringe 21 times. An hour later I was getting nervous plus the doctor just called in a prescription for another medication that I would have to force in 4 x a day. I got down by her bed and I told her I had done everything I could for her and if she can't help me than we have to go to the hospital. And that I didn't want to see her be scared or hurt anymore. At this point I had tears running down my face and she rarely sees me cry. At first she smiled because she thought I was being silly. Then her expression changed and her eyes filled up too. I felt we had a moment of understanding, because within 10 minutes she started sipping her juice. Within the hour she had 12 oz of juice and water and a good breakfast. I was able to relax a little more after that. Of course, sometime tonight her pain meds will wear off, and she will wake up in pain---it begins again. I don't like to buy off my kids, but I went and got some dollar toys from target, and if it motivates her to take her medication and drink then it is worth it. Thanks to my sister Jacie and little Bella who came to have a slurpee tea party with her. For some reason Maddie will do things for Jacie. While all this is going on, life still continues like normal for the other two. Rob has had the past two weeks off and goes back on Monday. I have loved having someone here to hang out with , help with the kids, and clean up. Imagine being able to run errands by myself--it is so awesome! AJ has been controlling his temper the past week I think because he has been keeping himself busy with his He-man puzzle. For the past 4 days he has kept it on his table. He puts it together, then takes it apart again. I am amazed for a couple of reasons--he can focus on this puzzle for hour intervals throughout the day, and secondly it is 100 small pieces. I have always helped him in the past, but now he has memorized where the pieces go. He starts with He-man and Battle cat and works his way out. Whatever keeps him out of trouble is a good thing. I am sure I will have plenty of those tantrum moments to share in the near future-- He is a close runner up for the stubborn title. My Cheyenne has spent a lot of time with Daddy lately, because I find that he can't multi task while watching the Olympics, but he hasn't lost the baby yet:) She lets him know when she needs attention. She is getting to be a more coordinated crawler and is determimed to get every polly pocket and action figure on the floor. She stands up on the furniture to get a better look at things but isn't cruising around yet. It's funny how on one side you want to see them develop, but on the other you really liked it when they weren't mobile and causing chaos!

1 comment:

Genesis said...

We need to come and visit you and your miss Maddie how is she doing? Wow crazy how Cheyenne is crawling now I do not have my house child proof yet. Scary I wonder how much time I really have.