"The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself". --Anna Quindlen



Sterzer Family 2013

Sterzer Family 2013

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

5K in 20 days...

Why did I decide to do a 5K in less than a month? I am wondering...

#1: There is a 5K fundraiser on September 24th to help my cousin Katie and her family. Her husband was almost killed last February and amazingly has recovered but they have huge medical bills

#2: When I read the fundraiser info it occured to me that hmmm...didn't I set a resolution to run a 5K this year? I am not a stickler on resolutions but I figured what a great reason to go for it...I also set a resolution to kick Rob's butt in pool but neither of us have played this year:)

#3: I wouldn't mind losing 10 lbs this month and thought jogging 6 days a week will probably get me there. We don't have a scale at our house so I don't watch the numbers but I have decided that I would like to lose what I like to call "Elasti-girl" look. On "The Incredibles"  the mom (Elastic-girl) catches a glimpse of her post baby butt/hips in the mirror and notices it is more than it used to be:)The scale on the Wii fit says my weight is back to my original college weight, but maybe the weight all shifted around to my hips with each pregnancy....

#4: I need the natural serotonin and really felt like something needed to change with my mood. This 5K came around and I knew it would benefit me in a lot of ways. I have been really anxious, more down than up, and feeling insecure, and I have been off of meds for almost 4 years now and I feel like I need to try all natural ways before I will go back to meds. When I am out there jogging I really feel great, and energized....


When I say I feel great I mean mentally mostly because right now I am still pretty crappy physically. But I had a really successful run tonight and I was super excited. I tried following the couch to 5k program which is  a 2 mth program and I only had 24 days. So I figured I take there 3 days of jogging and take it to 5-6 days and increase the numbers to what I can handle than I will be ready. My sister says it will be easy but she is training for a half marathon right now, so running this 5K is nothing for her:)

 The program says to start walking 4 minutes than jog for 90 seconds. I walked 2 minutes and jogged 2 minutes. The first 3 days I did that and got pretty discouraged because I was not breathing well, and barely making it the 2 minutes. Yesterday was the worst so far and I started to wonder if I can do this. I went out again today though feeling good and walked 2 minutes to warm up then jogged 7 minutes and felt great! It isn't huge for a skilled runner but for me dying at 2 minutes the day before I was so grateful that I could do 7 minutes. Then I walked fast for a minute to get my breathing steady and went again for 4 minutes, then rest for 1 then 4 again, then cooled down for 2.  I jsut need to get teh jogging times longer and eliminate the walking in between. I felt hot and sweaty but my body and breathing felt great when I made it home. My mood was great and I was so grateful to have a good day to keep my hopes up that I can do this in 20 days!

1 comment:

Genesis said...

You can do this! I am so proud of you. Keep up the great work. I completly understand where you are coming from about the depression stuff feeling insecure etc. I have been lately too. I am winging off of my medication. So it is scary to think that with out it I might be emotionally unstable. But that is why I have started to work out to produce those happy endorphins. Plus losing the fertility weight would help too. Then maybe the lord will bless us with a pregnancy once I am in shape haha.. Would be healthier for the baby. I think your beautiful. But it is all in our minds of what we see and how unhappy we feel. What others see is different. But keep up the great work you can do this girl I am so proud of you! You have my support. Love you!