"The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself". --Anna Quindlen



Sterzer Family 2013

Sterzer Family 2013

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Cloth diaper experiment


I am going to try to be honest so as not to sway you either way. Half of the time I don't know which side I am on:) I went online at http://www.littlefornow.com/ and felt really lost. There are so many different kinds of brands, materials, covers, liners...luckily this lady lives in Riverton and has a small store to look at options. I dropped by and liked the pocket diapers. It looks like a regular disposable diaper but has a "plasticy"(I am not a professional just an observer:) outer cover --I guess it is called PUL and soft inside. Some have velcro and others have snaps. There is an opening at the back that you put in a cloth insert.

I bought a bag to put the dirty ones in for the wash, some detergent that is best for them, cloth wipes, 2 training pants for my 3 yr old nights, and 12 cloth pocket diapers. I don't want to scare you away by the $$$$ but I spent $250.00. BUT if you figure out how much you have spent and will spend on disposables it is not much at all. My baby is 8 mths so even if I potty train him by age 2 I will have spent about $800, plus the $300 I have already spent on his disposables and Cheys pull ups were costing me about $20 a month. I wish I would have started earlier so I could have saved more. Learned of some great tips to not spend as much...websites to try and package deals as well as renting program later on...


If I did it again I wouldn't get this brand---some have told me it is not as good in absorbency. But they were on sale so that is why:) They also come with 2 microfiber inserts and since I don't like the microfiber they would be useless to buy again. Day 1-* I want to like these diapers but so far he keeps wetting all over me after about 2 hours....


* I wrote some friends who use cloth and they said that I should wash the liners several times in hot water before use and it absorbs better. Worth a shot. I spent a lot of money on these things and really want it to work.


Day 3-

* I think the washing helped-either that or I am better at changing him. A friend said that you need to change them more often in cloth...not sure if I want to be spending more time changing diapers....


Day 5-2 inserts make it more absorbent but they also make his butt look huge. Not like he cares but he is already a big boy and I still have to get his pants over it.


Week 1-* I think I am getting the hang of it. I don't think I want to attempt a night time in cloth again. That was a mess. But changing him more often isn't that big of a deal. Not like I left him in a disposable for hours on end! Basically I change him before a nap, feedings, during basic baby routine stuff anyway.
* Haven't told my sisters that I am using cloth...they would think I was crazy and talk me out of it. Different things work for different people.


* I opened up some new diapers today. I have been using only a few before and washing them. You can't return used diapers and I wanted to check it out first. Feeling more confident with them.


Day 9- *Don't plan on taking cloth diapers to church right now. I have enough to carry for all of the kids to keep them busy and carrying a wet diaper just isn't going to work. Plus I am still nervous about accidents and being at church would be a big pain. It's easier to do cloth when I am home and on my routine. Going other places makes it hard--I like being able to throw away the diaper when I am out and about.


* I love that I have only used 1 disposable diaper today. Saving money and the environment right:)


Day 10- I think I prefer the velcro--these snaps and a moving 8 mth old make it way too difficult!


Day 11- Had our first really nasty poopy diaper. Wish I had that spray attachment she showed me but I wan't sure if I wanted to spend more money before I knew what I was getting into. If I stick with this for awhile then I will get the sprayer to clean the poop off. Not like I don't clean enough of Chey's accidents..I basically smell like poop all of the time:) Like the cloth wipes. Don't think I really need their spcecial ones. Just flannel fabric and I have plenty of those baby wash clothes that dojust as great. Everything is going in the wash anyways.
Day 12-* Not really that big of a deal to wash these. I like that I don't have a pail of stinky disposables too. Basically we are dealing with dirty diapers, so nothing is going to be pleasant:) I just toss them in the bag and when I have a bunch of them I toss them in the wash for a couple cycles. I wonder if I am wasting too much water by washing so much? She says it isn't more wasteful than 1 person flushing the toilet throughout the day though.



Day 13- *A few leaks today and I am really cranky already today so it isn't the best day. I got a response from the diaper lady and she says that it sounds like he is a heavy wetter. I never thought so before-he goes 10 hours at night and I don't change his disposable until morning and only rarely does he leak. She suggested hemp inserts. These are more absorbent and also thinner so he won't have a huge rear if I double them up. If you knew something was thinner and more absorbent then why wouldn't she start me out with those in the first place? Annoyed. Don't want to spend money on more butt stuff but if it makes it work better than I need to figure it out.


Found out from a friend that microfiber isn't as absorbent and holds in stink more. As if any smell nice I guess, it is a diaper after all. But it is worth a shot since I am still having leaks. Plus any baby older than 6 mths pees more and needs more absorption and Carson is 9 mths now.


Day 15-Bought some hemp inserts to go inside my pocket diapers and there was no shipping and really good priced http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?products_id=724{2}41 plus I wanted to try biodegradable liners to go in cloth diapers. Yes, I had another poopy mess and I did find the sprayer that hooks for your toilet for $25 from a lady on ksl but I will buy it after the holidays. I was curious about thses liners that fit inside and when they poop you just drop it into the toilet and flush, no washing out the cloth diaper in the potty. They are good for the environment but it really isn't saving moeny too mcuh if I am buying those all of the time. Although it is $6 for 100 of them I am sure it would add up if I used them with each change. Maybe if I could sense when he would poop and put one in? :)




Day 16- The liners worked nice and I just flushed the poop with the liner and avoided the mess
*update- the liners work all right if the poop went directly on it...but most of the time the poop goes all over the inside...but it is nice for that little strip:) It seems to get bunched up too and sticks to his "manhood"...like a dryer sheet...that can't be comfortable.


I learned the hard way that I must close the velcro on the diapers before washing or they all come out of the wash stuck together. The velcro got stuck on some of the diapers outsides and they look crappy in some places.


Day 17- I am dumb and doing more research now that I spent a lot of money:) I found some good sites for good deals. One place has a renting program to try it out on your newborn and it ends up being $22 a month. Plenty of people on KSl that have good options as well....http://clothdiaperutah.blogspot.com/p/new-born-rental-package.html You can also buy them used from people, which sounds gross but they are all taken care of very well and washed thoroughly. There are starter packages to test out what you like as well http://www.littlefornow.com/item_381/Happy-Heinys-One-Size-Cloth-Diaper-Starter-Kit.htm.


Day 18- found a site today that has tips on washing. http://www.clothdiaperutah.org/Care_of_Cloth_Diapers.html I am not sure what to do since I hear different stuff. I want to make sure I wash them right to keep them absorbing right, plus keep them in good shape, plus get the stink. I read today about putting in baking soda and vinegar for smell.

Day 25- I got my new hemp inserts in the mail today and am excited to see the results. It says to wash them 5-7 times and dry in between! Yikes that is a lot of washing.....I read on the reviews that some lady boiled them for 30 minutes instead and then washed once withthe deteregent in the wash. I think I will try that first...


Day 27- I don't think the boiling idea really made them ready---they don't seem to be as absorbent as I expected.... Off to washing...it is only the initial washing when I buy them. I love that they are half the thickness of the microfiber ones so he isn't so bulky.


Day 30- How can one site say vinager and soda is good and what temp water is a must then the others contradict...? Apparently vinegar is not good on the covers. Others say never bleach while others say it is okay. There are different kinds of diapers and materials so I will go with the labels on the brand that is sent to me.


Day 32- Feeling more confident with the hemp inserts and went on an outing with a cloth diaper. It really wasn't that big of a deal-I just brought a grocery bag with the kids snacks and when they ate them I changed his diaper and put it in the bag and back in the diaper bag. Trying to figure out if I like the hemp with the microfiber or if 1 hemp is enough, or 2 hemps--which means I need to buy more. I sold some unused microfiber inserts on ksl for $20 so that was nice.


Conclusion: Are cloth diapers more difficult than disposables? Yes. BUT I think it is worth it in many ways. Anyone who breast feeds knows that it is a rough adjustment that first month and often times it can be inconvenient, but it is worth it to me. It is also more economical. I wondered this past month why I was even doing this and it is similar to why I nurse,make my own baby food and can vegetables each year....I like feeling self-sufficient. I don't want to have to rely on walmart to survive. BUT I do enjoy the convenience as well and have formula, disposable diapers and baby jars on hand as well. The problem with convenience is that most of the time it isn't good fr us or the earth....I also enjoy the more natural approach to things. I like knowing what goes into my baby and on my baby, but I am not a fanatic about it all.


So this is what I would have done the first time, and saved myself a lot of time and money.


I would have looked around on more community posts like babycenter.com and browsed KSL, ebay, for deals on packaged deals and renting programs. It may not work for you and I would give it a month to adjust before you make the decision. It was also nice to go to a local store to see the items up close, but not intending on buying so many or any at that time. I compare prices on everything else like crazy but I was compulsive that day and felt clueless so I took the experts advice.


I would still choose the pocket diaper. I like the ease of the velcro, but the snap ones looke nicer after repeated washes. I would go straight for the hemp inserts for thinness and absorbency. I heard bamboo was similar. I would go to the site listed above that has no shipping. When I buy them I would wash with a squirt of Dawn the first wash and dry in between the 5-7 times for maximum absorbency.


I am still figuring out my baby and how many inserts to use in the diaper. 1 hemps with 1 microfiber seems to do a great job. The microfiber is the one that is closest to baby bum--it soaks it up faster and keeps moisture away from skin. I fold the hemp right there since he is a boy and pees more in that area. I just bought bamboo and it is washing 5-7 times as we speak, so I am not sure how those will work but they are said to be similar to hemp.



I would pre-wash with 1/4 cup baking soda in cold


wash with detergent in hot water once


rinse with cold and 1/4 cup vinegar


rinse with cold


....everyone seems to have different opinions on washing..... sometimes I will not do the vinegar and soda and eliminate the last rinse. Vinegar and baking soda is for smell and if it isn't a problem than you don't have to do it.



For the first wash ever dry everything in dryer. After that the pocket diaper should line dry and the inserts dried in dryer.


After everything is dry I stuff the inserts all in and put the prepared diaper in a tote in my closet so they are ready when he is.


The cloth wipes are in an old wipes container with some water and baby sopa to keep them moist.


They need stripping about once a month apparently and this gets any buildup off from soaps, etc and when you first buy them. Add a few drops of dawn original to the washer and wash with hot water. Rinse until there are no more bubbles in the water. One site said you can skip the dawn and just wash in hot as many times as you need to get rid of any extra soap.

If you have a handy hubby you can put in this sprayer yourself after a trip to Lowes. Where has this been all of my "panty swishing" days??? My Chey has been pooping in her pants for 6 mths and I have had to swish it all out and stink for the day. This sprayer sprays it right off so it doens't soak and stain my diaper and I don't have to touch the poop. I still need to get a hook for it on the side of the toilet.



You do have to change cloth diapers more often. The material disposables are made out of help it retain more but also unfortunately don't decompose for 200-500 years. I thought I would go crazy changing him on the hour but it has become part of the routine about every 2-3 hrs. Before and after his nap I change him, with the feedings, playing, bathing, changing of baby...let's face it the baby itself is time-consuming and the diapering fits right into the schedule. When I am out and about I wear a disposable still since I am off my routine and the baby doesn't get changed as often. I also don't expect my babysitters to use cloth and leave them disposables.


I think IF I ever had another baby I would do them right off. You wouldn't need as much absorbency inserts with a new baby as I do with a 9 mth old. I would always go with the one size diapers that adjust as baby grows so I don't have to buy new ones later. Plus the have those trial packages for newborns.

Just so you can see how simple it is:


-Baby wakes and I take off the disposable ( I have not done a night with cloth yet) and put on his cloth diaper.


- Feed baby and play until he gets tired 2 hours later


- Change baby again before laying him down for nap. Pull insert out of diaper by dry corner and toss both in diaper bag that hangs on door.


-After he wakes up from his nap I change him and do the same


- Repeat baby schedule with changings and tossing in bag... Our day isn't really that interesting or I would go through the details:)


- if he has a poopy diaper I use flushable wipes to get the initial mess if it is pretty bad than a cloth wipe to make his bum spic and span. I dump the poop and wipes into the toilet. Use my sprayer to get any poop off--it is powerful and toss the insert and diaper seperately in bag for later.

-I wash every other day so I either dump my diapers in the wash and put it on soak for the next day (or just leave them in the bag for the next day)or put on pre-wash in cold. Then add one capful of diaper detergent and wash and rinse in hot. Then I rinse again in cold. Put inserts in dryer and hang dry diapers. When they are dry I get them ready for the next use. It depends on how many diapers you have. I have 12 and he usually goes through 6 a day so I don't have to wash every day if I don't want to. If I have a poopy diaper I like to wash it as soon as I can to avoid stains or smell. If they get stinky I will add the baking soda to pre-wash and vinegar to the rinse.


It just takes getting used to like everything else... I was unsure for the first little while but now I really feel good about it and it is just 2nd nature to me now that I got into the rou

*6 mth update

I use the cloth diapers 90% of the time still. I had some poop issues at walmart and didn't have stuff to take care of it and coudln't throw away my cloth diaper....so I prefer to take him out in disposable, unless I know he has done his business for the day.

I use them at night and just put another microfiber in with it. I cut one in half actually so it isn't as bulky but it is right up front where he pees the most. I really don't change him that often. about as much as I would a disposable.

I can see the wear from the velcro a lot, and although they are a bit easier to put on with a wriggling 1 yr old, the snap ones look a lot better.

I think I have saved tons from having cloth wipes. They go right in the wash with the diapers so it isn't a big deal.

I think the thing that bugs me the most is remembering to take them out of the wash to line dry them. I have stayed up a couple of nights because they were washing late and I forgot.

I ran out of the special soap and have been using regular "clear" detergent, just less of it and think it is jsut fine. Althought that $15 bottle did last about 5 mths since you use a little cap.

I am pleasantly surprised to see my husband wash them without complaint. At first I took on teh task of spraying the poop off with the sprayer, but he started doing it and doesn't seem to mind. Although he is gross about it. I hold the clean end and spray it clean and he gets his hands in there more. I used to change adult diapers for a job so I really don't get grossed out by much anymore:)

I don't use the baking soda and vinegar wash every time. I prewash with cold and then do a regular hot wash, then line dry the covers and dryer for inserts. I use the vinegar and baking soda if I notice they are getting smelly at all...maybe every other week or so.




2 comments:

Genesis said...

Wow sweetie. That is a ton of news. Congrats glad that is working out for you. Tell Rob I said he is so smart to do that. I did not even no that existed. I am really proud of you. You are a really good Mommy. We so need to catch up and chat, I will call you. Love ya Gen

Shelise said...

Good for you Tiffanie. I have thought about doing cloth but after reading this, I know it is not for me. I wish it was but I know I wouldn't be able to handle it. Anyway, I think it is great. Good luck.